The applications of coconut oil in skin care are numerous. Coconut oil is formed of medium chain fatty acids that have strong anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-microbial properties. It is also a rich source of antioxidants, and hence is an effective anti-aging remedy. Coconut oil has been used in Ayurvedic treatments since ages. It forms the base of several oils that are used to improve the general skin condition as well as in remedies for various skin ailments.
Many skin care concoctions using this magical product can be easily prepared at home. Let us look at some of them here
- Hot oil massages: Warm coconut oil in a small container. Apply this warm oil to your body and leave it to be absorbed for half an hour. Wash it off with soap. Regularly following this method will leave your skin soft and supple throughout, even without the aid of any expensive moisturizers. This specially benefits the skin during the cold winter months when the harsh weather strips the skin of its natural oils. Coconut oil effectively restore the natural balance of the skin.
- Make your own at-home eye liner: Traditionally, coconut oil was used to prepare homemade kohl. It allowed women to line their eyes and kept them cool and refreshed in the extreme warm climate of the tropics. It isn’t difficult to make your own fresh batch of eye liner with a few simple ingredients. Mix together a teaspoon of coconut oil and 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.Add a small quantity of activated charcoal to it and mix. You can apply this to the inside of your eyes, and to line your eye lids.
- Moisturizer: Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer for your body. Use it to smoothen dry knees and soften rough skin. It also heals scars and spots and evens out the skin.
- Cuticle oil: You can forget expensive cuticle oils when you have coconut oil. Apply a few drops on your nail beds and massage them in. Leave it on for as long as is possible, your nails will look fresh and glossy.
- Natural healer for various skin problems: Use coconut oil to naturally heal itches and skin irritations. It can be used on the hair to get rid of lice. Mixing coconut oil and turmeric powder and applying on the face is believed to be an effective remedy for Acne. This application also removes scars and heals wounds on the face. Coconut oil has strong anti-microbial properties, hence it can be applied on stings and insect bites to soothe the burning sensation. It is also an effective remedy for diaper rash.
Newborn babies in South India and Sri Lanka enjoy oil massages with virgin coconut oil everyday. This is to moisturize their skin and protect their delicate skin by making use of the antibacterial properties of the product. The pure nature of this oil benefits not just babies, but adults too. Why don’t you try it?